Sunday, December 11, 2011

Rosy Cheeks

One of the things I love about going to a makeup counter (or Sephora or a brand's respective store) is getting other people's opinions. It's one thing play around with the makeup and try to make informed choices and it's another to say to someone, "This is what I want, what do you think would work?" This works especially well at a makeup counter since they know their product whereas I don't.

Where is this going? Well, a few years ago I went to the Bobbi Brown makeup counter and got help with a new blush. After talking it over with the consultant, I made the jump from a darker blush (that you could barely see on me) to the Bobbi Brown Blush in Nectar. Now mind you, this was a huge jump in colour for me. The blush I used before was a deep plum colour and I was putting it on very lightly. I made this jump to a bright rosy coral which was all kinds of new.

It's been two years and I've grown to love how it lightly but brilliantly accentuates the apples of my cheek. I figured it was time to try something a bit bolder. Illamasqua's Powder Blusher in Hussy.

Illamasqua's blush is on the left and the Bobbi Brown blush is on the right. It's not exactly the best comparison since the Illamasqua is on an eye shading brush and the Bobbi Brown is on a concealer brush. 

Anyhow the point of this was to show just how much powder you pick up with the Illamasqua. This was after one swipe because it picks up a lot and it's highly pigmented so you have to be careful when using it.

The Bobbi Brown... well, it took about 2-3 swipes to get a lot on the brush to have a good comparison. The point of this is a bit two-fold: the Illamasqua is highly pigmented to a little goes a long way whereas the Bobbi Brown is a bit on the lighter side. Still, the Bobbi Brown is very pigmented and don't forget that.

Left is the Illamasqua and on the right is Bobbi Brown.
Today I tried the Illamasqua out and very nearly made the mistake of putting on too much this morning. I managed to even it out and loved how it looked all day. It remained as bright and beautiful as when I first put it on this morning which means that it's on the same level as my Bobbi Brown blush.

Both of them are pretty amazing but they are definitely great for their own purposes. The Bobbi Brown is fantastic for everyday because it goes on light and you can slowly build up the colour. Due to that, it has a very natural look.

The Illamasqua is dramatic and has quite a bit of flair on it. It's buildable, but I wouldn't suggest doing so since it's so pigmented. It really does pop so I can imagine using it for those special occasions or if I just want to appear a little bit more lively.


Price: $24
Would Recommend? Yes
Takeaway: Long lasting, great pigmentation, and so very natural looking.

Price: $24
Would Recommend? Yes
Takeaway: Long lasting, highly pigmented, and great for a dramatic look.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...