Saturday, December 24, 2011

The Black Eyeliner

You might have noticed that I'm a bit addicted to eyeliner (and possibly mascara, but I might just be too discerning about it for it to be an addiction). In particular, I love black eyeliner and this obsession goes back into my teenage years when I mostly dabbled in what is now referred to as "raccoon eyes" which was then known as "being goth." Over time I've grown to love the natural look and once in a while I'll toss in a cat eye. Consider it a nod to my past.

Or maybe it was a nod to Bollywood. See my fascination trully lies in the use of kohl (kajal) however the supplies around here are quite limited. How often do you see a real stick of kajal around? There's two that I know of and that's the Guerlain Terracotta Khôl Kajal and Givenchy Magic Kajal Eye Pencil. I'm not really interested in the latter but I really want the former. I've been trying to curb myself and not get it, but with the sadness induced by L'Oreal Voluminous Smoldering Eyeliner not working, I may just be tempted. But this wasn't the point of this post.

See a few years ago I went to Egypt with my family and we had the chance to purchase kohl. Yep, they are still wrapped and I have never used them. Sure, I think about it but then I just leave them alone and attack the black eyeliners that I have on hand. Because the quest isn't over seeing that I have procured kohl.

It's all about getting the right blend.

Sure I can pretty much hold a mirror in my left hand and proceed to put on eyeliner with my right (basically, I have the routine down that I can easily apply eyeliner with one hand). But can it last all day? Will the pigmentation hold? Will my exotic looking eyes remain exotic?! I jest about that last part. Later on I'm hoping to try out a few different cat eye techniques but for now, I leave you with what I deem to be the best so far when it comes to black eyeliners.

Pencil Eyeliners:
  1. Lancôme Le Crayon Khôl ($24.50) -- Since I was allowed to start wearing makeup, this has always been in my collection. It was perhaps the first and only pencil eyeliner my mom ever gave me and it has been the best. 
  2. Sephora Nano Eyeliner ($5)
  3. Stila Convertible Eye Color ($22)
Cream Eyeliners:
  1. L'Oreal HiP Studio Secrets Professional Color Truth Cream Eyeliner (Retail: $10.19)
Liquid Eyeliners:
  1. tokidoki Perfetto Eyeliner ($16)
  2. e.l.f. Essentials Liquid Eyeliner ($1 in black)
Eyeshadow:
  1. Kat Von D True Romance Eyeshadow Palette - Beethoven: ($34) Lucifer (matte charcoal black)
  2. L'Oréal Studio Secrets Professional Eye Shadow Singles (Retail: $4.48) Lush Raven
For the pencil, cream, and liquid eyeliners, they are not waterproof so keep that in mind if you're looking to do your waterline; that has been part of my everlasting quest. All of them hold up well over a long day and are great as far as control and pigmentation. I can happily say that for all of the eyeliners, these are my staples and I adore them. 

I put the eyeshadow there in case you were looking for something that strengthens the black a bit. I wish that Kat Von D's Lucifer was sold separately because I love it however a long time ago it broke off my palette so I depotted it elsewhere. I use the L'Oreal eyeshadow when the Lucifer isn't readily available and it works well. Sometimes after I put on the pencil eyeliner I will go over it with a bit of eyeshadow to darken it especially since it usually isn't as fine of a line if were to use the liquid eyeliner.

Cream eyeliners, as usual, require a good brush in order to get either a fine line or to make it a bit more thicker, which is essence tends to give it a smudgier look.

Usually I am trying to go for a clean look so I'll use the liquid or cream eyeliner and then fill in with pencils. Either way, I've noticed that no liner stands alone and it's nice to have them accentuate one another. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...