Monday, April 8, 2013

Review: Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blush in Blushing Bride

I've recently become fascinated with blush and while I'm not sure why and I can't very well explain it. It's something that has suddenly become intriguing. Perhaps because I hit pan on my Bobbi Brown blush a year ago and somehow I'm still at 50% left and I've been using it every day for the last year. I guess that speaks volume to it's longevity but also means it's kind of boring to use the same one day in and day out. Recently I acquired two blushes from Tarte: Natural Beauty and Blushing Bride.

The two Tarte compacts and my UNII palette (that houses
my Bobbi Brown blush).
Let's start with the Blushing Bride, since that's the first one I cracked open. Blushing Bride is described as a plumy rose. I had been looking for a blush that was more on the purple side, but still fell under the criteria of being formulated without all the unnecessary stuff.

Bobbi Brown on the left, Tarte Blushing Bride in the
middle, and Tarte Natural Beauty on the right.
For those who are unfamiliar with the Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blush line, Tarte has formulated them without: parabens, sulfates, synthetic fragrances, petrochemicals, phthalates, GMOs, or triclosan. As with my hair care, I've been trying to make a more conscientious effort to use makeup products that fit this criteria. (I have not switched over my skincare routine, just so we're all clear). While this is not necessarily important to know, it's going to make sense in a bit.

Anyhow here are some impressions: I love the packaging of it as I think the Tarte blushes are incredibly cute. This only matters since I refuse to depot them into my UNI Palette. I was somehow surprised when I realized that the Blushing Bride had a bit of shimmer since I'm normally very much against shimmer. This is what I get for buying things online without checking them out first. When I purchased Natural Beauty, I was in Sephora so I knew exactly what I was getting out of it. This is by no means something that I hold against the blush since I purchased it without doing the proper research. Plus, I like the colour.

The Blushing Bride has a great colour that I like although it comes off a bit lighter (meaning the pigmentation is not that great). I do believe that that has to do with it being formulated a different manner. My oily skin is of no service either. So, usually when I apply a blush, I put it on strong in the morning because by mid-day when the oiliness acts up, I know that I need to use a bunch of blotting sheets. By the end of the day we're looking at very minimal blush being left over as a result of this. (Some days are much worse than others though -- sometimes I get a fair amount of blush that is left over).

I do not reapply my makeup throughout the day because that would be bothersome. (Trust me, I used to do this in college and doing a midday refresh of my makeup is not optimal). As I've mentioned, the blush is somewhat weak with not the greatest pigmentation but it does provide a good light flush. If my skin is really oily then by midday any trace of the blush is usually gone (so we're talking about 4 hours here). That is generally not the case though but with my oily skin, a very minimal amount is left over.

I'll be following up in a few weeks about how Natural Beauty is working out.




Product: Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blush in Blushing Bride
Price: $26
Stars: ★★★★☆
Takeaway: While it's not as pigmented as others that I've used and it's longevity is not quite there, I still think it's a "healthier" (formulated without all the bad stuff) and for what it is, it's good. There is a good pigmentation to it and sometimes with my oily skin, it won't last too long, but that's fine with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...