Monday, April 15, 2013

Deconstructing a Blush

My Bobbi Brown blush has been haunting me for the last year now. It's great and while I love it, I've had it for almost four years! So here's a peek into the Red Labs in regard to reconstructing a new franken-blush!

The first thing is to figure out what colour I wanted. Luckily for me, I didn't really care, I just wanted something different. So I grabbed nectar and a sample packet of Everyday Minerals Glam Guru blush. I wish I had taken pictures of them side by side but alas, I was too excited. The EVM blush can be described as a "soft and earthy pink pigmented blush" and the BB blush is a pink coral. The closest I can get is to provide the two colours side by side to the right.

As you can see, they are a bit different. The problem I had was that I couldn't seem to finish the Nectar and the Glam Guru was in odd packaging that made it hard to get it out. As a result, I decided that combining them would be fun and a good learning experience. Sadly, there aren't very many photos since this got messy quick, but let us begin!



I broke up the pan of the Nectar blush with a bamboo skewer. I tried to break up the bigger chunks, but I figured it would be okay. Basically mixing a pressed blush and a loose powder one is somewhat difficult but still a good learning point. After breaking it up, I added the the powder blush and leveled the top.

After trying to make sure the two blushes were mixed as best as I could, I then added the alcohol. I did a direct pour of alchohol into the pan and when I realized I added too much too quickly (sigh), I went into recon mode. I took a paper towel and pressed into the powder mixture to get the excess alcohol and stop any overflow. Once it seemed stable, I grabbed some baby wipes and cleaned the outside of the pan and the surrounding area. 


Here's the "new" blush a few days after the experiment when I knew that the blush was fully dried. I have since cleaned it up a bit more but overall, I'm pretty happy with this experiment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...