Monday, February 11, 2013

Review: Mark Glow Baby Glow & Lancôme Juicy Tubes Smoothie

At any given time, I'm bound to have a couple items on me (or around me) -- especially at work. Back in October I wrote "On Being at Work" which listed out Mark Glow Baby Glow Hook Ups and I had Bubbles, Petal Luxe, and Flirty Luxe. I've since finished the Petal Luxe and Flirty Luxe and I'm working on the Bubbles and a Lancôme Juicy Tubes Smoothie in Simmer.

I should preface this by saying that ever since my friend Tabitha introduced me to the Mark lineup that Hook Ups have been staples in my makeup kit. As for Lancôme Juicy Tubes, my mom has given me so many that to not have them just strikes me as odd. So clearly, these are winners in my book.

Let's take a look as the Hook Ups. The concept is that you get a connector and you can basically swap out for whatever you need in the line (whether that is mascara, lip gloss, makeup brushes, etc.). There's a lot of variations here that you can put together. If you're taking a look at my picture, mine just happens to have a bat because I think it's cute and it was a Halloween favour a few years ago (so no, bats are not part of the lineup). Over the years, while I've had a lot of them, I always tend to go back for the lip glosses. It also happens that they have three different types of lip glosses as well.

The three different lines are: Glow Baby Glow, Glow Baby Glow Luxe (extra shimmer), and the Pro Gloss Plumping Shine. I've had several that span the three types. While colour isn't a huge selling factor to me, my boyfriend has commented the pink ones especially (Flirty Luxe, Petal Luxe, and Girly Girl) were all complementary on me and he really liked them (especially since they didn't come off on him). They give just the right amount of colour (not too pigmented, but just the right amount), moisture, not greasy or sticky, and lasts for a long time. They are also pretty conveniently sized which makes me happy.

From left to right: Mark Glow Baby
Glow in Bubbles and Lancôme
Juicy Tubes Smoothie in Simmer.
Bubbles in the tube looks like a light purple and even on my skin when I swatch it, it looks like a light purple (I want to say the colour is Thistle, but it's more like Heliotrope that is with a bit more pink [possibly closer to Orchid]). On my face it's quite light in colour and that purple tends to go away leaving more of a Queen Pink instead. Either way, it's not like I wanted a deep hue of purple so I'm glad that I'm getting a lighter shade of purple and pink. Let's put it this way: in all the years that I've been using the lip glosses, I've never been disappointed.

Moving onto the Lancôme -- here's yet another situation where I've never been disappointed either by them. Between the Juicy Tubes Smoothie and Juicy Tubes Jelly there seems to be a colour and texture to fit my mood. Although I've only listed one (Shimmer), I've been through quite a few and a lot of my favourites tend to be the pink ones like Fruity Pop, Hallucination, Tinkled Pink, Berry Bold, and while not pink, Touched by Light was a favourite as well.

Simmer itself doesn't quite give off much colour on me; it comes off as a bit light (so if you were wondering why I don't have any images of either lip gloss on my face, that's why -- they wouldn't show up in any of the pictures that they tried to take). Nonetheless, I still get great performance from other Juicy Tubes but it is one of those situations where you need to find what works for you. The texture is good, the pigmentation in some of the other tubes is phenomenal, but in this particular one, I get more of a lip balm feel to it.

With both of these, while they might not be the shining examples of the best lip glosses you can keep around for pigmentation, they are highly moisturizing and the texture is not greasy. They are closer to lip balms in a sense. I'd definitely recommend the Mark Hook Up line and the Juicy Tubes but definitely make sure you check that the colour themselves are complementary to you. 



Product: Glow Baby Glow Hook Up Lip Gloss
Price: $6.50
Would Recommend? Yes
Takeaway: While Bubbles itself might not be a winner, Mark Hook Ups have been a staple since about 2005 in my makeup kit and this was the first lip gloss that didn't entice love but rather like. It's still a good one to keep around since it's more of a travel size that can easily be switched out with another Hook Up product.

Product: Lancôme Juicy Tubes Smoothie
Price: $6.50
Would Recommend? Yes
Takeaway: As with the Hook Ups, Juicy Tubes have long been a staple in my makeup kit. Simmer isn't the greatest for my skin tone and undertones, but it still gets the job (moisturizing) done which works for me. I've had others which I loved so this is not one I'd easily write off -- but I would recommend checking to see if the colours work for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...