Thursday, May 30, 2013

Red Lady: MAKE UP FOR EVER Rouge Artist Intense in Moulin Rouge #43

Back when I first started my hunt for an "everyday" red lipstick, I came upon this one with the help of Sephora. I remember the first day that I wore it while walking home and I felt so self conscious about it. So sadly, this particular tube, though I've had it for a long time and it has batted around the bottom of my purse or my makeup bags, hasn't ever really been used.

Given this experiment of wearing red lipsticks, this one was a natural contender but it was one that I was most hesitant about. Talking to Devi though, who raved about this one, I tried to not be as adversarial to it. After all, it looked amazing on her.

The colour itself is actually quite nice -- it's a bit vibrant and though in the back of my head I felt as though it had a tinge of orange. Clearly I was a bit off in my assessment of it, but that didn't stop me from feeling self conscious.

Which brings up another very important point -- I've been showing copped pictures of just the lipstick and something that you absolutely need to keep in mind is what you're wearing because other makeup and your choice of clothes (colour wise) will effect how the lipstick is perceived. Why did some red lipsticks seem more orange-like whereas others seemed more purple, or more blue based? Not only was it my undertones, but also the difference between wearing a white shirt and a pink shirt.

With that being said, in comparison to other lipsticks that I had worn, I found myself leaning toward the Rimmel Red (not the matte version) in leiu of this one. But let's analyze why... The formula itself seemed a bit waxy and while it glided on well enough, it still didn't have the creaminess that others had. The colour lasted almost all day but the gumminess appeared a bit early on in the day (you know that feeling, when you've worn a lipstick for far too long in a day and it gets all gunked up?). Upon application, there was this weird taste that just seemed to last all day and even after my beloved midday cappuccino, I couldn't shake that taste. Needless to say, that while I could look back at pictures and say "That looked good!" I really didn't feel it which knocked my overall confidence level for this lipstick down quite a bit.


Day of wear with e.l.f. lip liner in Bitter.





Product: MAKE UP FOR EVER Rouge Artist Intense in Moulin Rouge #43
Red Lipstick Confidence Level: ★★☆☆☆
Price: $20
Stars: ★★★☆☆
Would Recommend? No, however since I know that this works well with my other makeup aficionado friends, I'd say that if it looks good on you, then give it a shot.
Takeaway: Good colour (though perhaps one that I'm not necessary fond of, but looks great in pictures), however the formula seemed off. Didn't like the weird aftertaste that lasted all day and definitely didn't appreciate the early signs of gumminess. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...