Monday, May 13, 2013

Red Lady: e.l.f. Studio Matte Lip Color in Rich Red

In the Red Ladies series, the first one up was this one from e.l.f. Studio. Unlike the rest, which I kind of just randomly selected in store(s), this one was recommended by my friend Tabitha (actually, she tweeted about it but that was enough to put it on my radar). For those unfamiliar with the e.l.f. line, it's a pretty cheap cosmetics line that can be found at select Target stores or can otherwise be purchased online. So for $3, I figured that it was worth giving it a shot. 

In this particular lineup of matte lip colours, there are only 6 shades available and the rest are all nudes. This happens to be the only red in this line (but they do have other lipsticks and lip colours).

At first I had the fear that this would be a bit chalky and hard to apply only because when I usually come across lipsticks in this form, they have a slightly harder texture. I'm happy to report that I was completely wrong as this lip colour glides on and remains to be very moisturizing.

The first night that I swatched it I wasn't entirely impressed with it; while I thought the colour was nice, I thought it was a bit too vibrant on me. The feel of it was good but the colour just seemed off. Nonetheless I went ahead with the Day of Wear and I'm happy to say that my opinion of it changed a bit.



First swatch with no lip liner.

Day of Wear with Bare Minerals Lip Liner in Mauve.

Day of Wear

The colour matched the shirt I was wearing that day but I was still unsure of myself. I did get a few compliments on it but I have to say that my overall confidence was a bit low since I just wasn't sure how I really looked in it. 

But here are the positives without consideration to the colour itself. The formulation is long lasting -- I only had to apply it once and that was after lunch. The formula remains moisturizing throughout the day and overall was incredibly nice and felt good. There was never a point where I thought to myself that I needed to take it off to put on some lip balm underneath.



Red Lipstick Confidence Level: ★★★☆☆
Price: $3
Stars: ★★★★☆
Would Recommend? Maybe -- while the colour didn't work for me, the formula itself was really good. If other colours come out in the future, I'll definitely consider them. 
Takeaway: While the colour itself didn't quite make me happy because I still felt it was a bit too vibrant on me, it was still a good formula overall. It was not drying and remained moisturizing throughout the day. Add to that that it was long lasting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...