Monday, March 25, 2013

Review: Tatcha Aburatorigami

Oil blotting sheets have become a staple in my makeup bag (and makeup kits) for wherever I am. But the one thing I can say is that I'm no loyalist when it comes to them. From generic to Boscia, and everything else in between, I'll use whatever I can get my hands on for the simple fact that I go through them so quickly (as quickly as one goes through a bottle of vitamins). 

When my friend overheard that I was grabbing another pack of the e.l.f. blotting sheets, she handed me a pack of Tatcha Aburatorigami. On first glance, it seems quite the luxurious blotting tissues because it's packaging is a bit refined and when you open the pack you have these large sheets (3.74" x 3.74") that have little gold flecks distributed throughout the pack of 30. The sheets are made of 100% Abaca leaf and gold flake and does not contain mineral oil, synthetic color, fragrance, powder or pulp.

So as someone who switches freely between different brands, I do like them. I think their size it great and it makes it easier to use. The only thing that is annoying though is that they seem to be almost too thin and their absorbency is a bit low. While the directions say that you can use both sides, the oils get through the sheets really quickly and render the other side useless. That in itself isn't much of a deal breaker since you can always just grab another sheet to blot. But that's where there's a slight problem for me.

If I used 2-3 sheets of e.l.f.'s blotting sheets or even the generic ones I got from Hawaii, it's not a huge deal. My skin can get pretty oily so I don't expect a blotting sheet to magically change the issues with my skin and stop the oiliness so I do expect to use it frequently. With that being said it makes it a bit hard to justify using more than one sheet a day when Aburatorigami is $12 for a pack of 30 sheets compared to e.l.f.'s which are $1 for 50 sheets. Now I've read the reviews around the web and I know that e.l.f. isn't well received at times, but I think I've been using it so long along with others that I just don't mind? (Strangely though, it has high ratings on MakeUp Alley). Either way, every time that I had to use the Aburatorigami, I had to follow up shortly after with another sheet (whether that is the generic brand e.l.f.).

Is it bad? I wouldn't say that. But it's not satisfactory for my oily skin woes. These are a bit pricey which normally I wouldn't mind if they got the job done in the first place. For those will very oily skin, I'd probably stay away from this unless you enjoy the novelty of it. If you don't have skin that is super oily, then this might be right up your alley.



Product: Tatcha Aburatorigami
Price: $12
Stars: ★★★☆☆
Takeaway: While the sheets work the way that they should, they are thin and do not absorb that much which requires multiple sheets. Given how much they cost, how oily my face is (and how little they help that issue), and how much I have to use, it doesn't really seem worth it to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...