Thursday, March 14, 2013

Review: Ology Soothing Baby Shampoo & Body Wash

After my bottle of Disney Baby Daily Renewal Naturals Baby Shampoo finished, I headed over to my local drugstore to find that  Garnier Pure Clean was out of stock... again. After being unable to find a suitable replacement, I went over to Walgreens to grab either Pure Clean or the Disney Baby Shampoo since they always seem to have it stock. (I always go to the first one since it's so close however with that being said, the Walgreens is really just across the street). Anyhow, as I was about to grab the Disney Baby version, I noticed the ology brand which had a lovely "No Harmful Chemicals" notice right along the front of the bottle. Ology is a Walgreens brand, so I figured that I'd give it a shot.

I grabbed the Lavender & Chamomile version since that's one of my favourite scents. On the back, it states that it has no parabens, silicons, dyes, phthalates, or animal byproducts. It also states that the bottle is made of 100% post-consumer materials. 

I've been using this for a few weeks now (and yes, in the image just behind the bottle of ology is Pure Clean) and overall, I love it. Sometimes the shampoo is a bit hard to wash out, but truth be told, I've found this with a lot of shampoos that are similar in nature. The only catch about this one versus the Disney Baby is that this one does not claim to be sulfates free. So if that's an issue for you then this is something you're going to want to pass on.

Overall, while I think it's almost on par with Pure Clean or the Disney Baby (Naturals) Shampoo, it's not quite on that level. The texture is fine, the lather is as expected, and it's performance is okay. However if I mess up and neglect to fully wash my hair out then it dries in a stringy manner which looks like it's incredibly oily (when it's not). Plus there's still the issue of sulfates, which my hair does not get along with when there is prolonged usage. I do love the scent which is wonderfully subtle and great if you have a headache (lavender is simply amazing to me). 

If sulfates were not an issue, I'd probably say this was on par with the Disney Baby Naturals (or Pure Clean) simply because with the latter I can use it for a long period of time without having to worry about switching it out. Sulfates in the past have led to considerable damage to my hair -- it is not bad in itself as it is surfactant and all it does is assist with the lather. It is particularly damaging to my hair because my hair is wurly and pretty dry so sulfates don't quite work out for me. For my mother (who has a gorgeous head of hair, I might add), this has never been a problem but she also has hair that is of a different texture. So don't be quick to write this one off unless sulfates really are a problem for you.



Product: Ology Sooth Baby Shampoo & Body Wash
Price: $5
Stars: ★★★☆☆
Takeaway: Overall, a solid shampoo that is free of parabens, silicones, dyes, and phthalates (but not sulfates). Works well and would be a great contender were it not for the sulfates part. It is about the same level of difficulty to wash out as others that are similar and nature and good to have on hand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...