Monday, January 2, 2012

Review: MAC Matchmaster 7.5

I may be late to the game of MAC's Matchmaster, but I promise I have some reasoning behind that. (Warning: This is a bit of a rant, so skip ahead to the next paragraph if you don't want to read this part). I know a few MAC Artists and I think they are great; they do a fantastic job and they are highly patient. Problem is that they live far away from me which means that I have to rely on the nearby counters and stores to help me out. And every time I step into one of the stores or go to the counters, the MAC Artists I have encountered are incredibly rude and if they aren't rude, then they are unhelpful or ignore me -- even after I ask for help. So over the years I've come to avoid MAC counters. Except a huge problem when it comes to makeup is that MAC seems to have developed the industry standards -- want to know what colour you are in other foundations? Then you need to know your MAC number. I thus decided that I needed to shelf my dislike for them and make sure that I get my number this time. Happily, for the first time ever the MAC Consultant was nice and patient, which means I actually accomplished something today.

As this was a spur of the moment decision, I have no before pictures to show however to the left is a picture of what it looked like after about 7 hours. So after explaining to the consultant my skin type the first thing she matched me to was MAC Matchmaster in 7.5 (and yes, I still don't know what my normal foundation colour would be). Anyhow, I realized right away why my options were limited and that was after she put on one of the cream foundations: my skin is really damn weird. By doing a comparison of the cream versus the liquid, the cream appeared a bit ashy. 

So back to Matchmaster. It definitely doesn't provide full coverage, so let's just get that out of the way. Luckily, that's not what I'm looking for. In general I'm looking for medium coverage with a matte finish especially since I have an oily T-zone. Coverage is decent, but it's a bit light in order to properly blend with the skin which is why I'm not 100% sold on this product. Initial thought is that why it has a richer appearance (doesn't appear ashy, complements my face well) my reservation is that I feel that it might a bit on the darker side. That could be my own bias though going from a powder to a liquid foundation. The bright side is that I have been wearing it for just about 5 hours and noticed that it's controlling the oils well. 

A huge fear that I still have though is my breathability. My face is particular and one of the reasons my face has been less prone to breakouts or issues is because although it can get really dry and/or really oily (sometimes at the same time) I don't pile on too much makeup. I like to keep it natural or if I do indulge in makeup, I don't go heavy because of this. It's Matchmaster enough to make me want to switch? I'm not sure just yet. I still have a few more counters to visit before I make a decision.

Update: As the night wore on the makeup vanished on its own so by the time I was ready to wash my face, there wasn't much left. So it's not very long-lasting which is a problem for me.



Product: MAC Matchmaster in 7.5
Price: $32.50
Would Recommend? I hesitate to say yes or no since I only had a consultation.
Takeaway: It provides medium coverage as it's a bit on the light side though you can build on the foundation. Matches skin very well and controls oil. There is a lot of residue (meaning that it comes off easily) and thus it is not long lasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...