Saturday, January 7, 2012

A Comparison of Brushes

During my e.l.f. haul, I decided to get the Studio line brushes as well as the kabuki face brush, angled eyeliner brush, and the retractable lip brush. I haven't tried them all yet but I will post reviews when I finally make my way through them. I have used the kabuki and the blush brush so I'll be comparing them to brushes that I love (they will be marked with a heart)

Foundation Brushes

• EcoTools Finishing Brush (part of the Alicia Silverstone line) ♥
• e.l.f. Studio Kabuki Face Brush

Pardon the EcoTools brush that hasn't been cleaned yet. >_< Well, I love this brush as I've probably mentioned in previous posts. One of my favourite techniques is stippling and this is the brush to pull it off. So how does thee.l.f. kabuki compare? 

Pretty darn well, I must say. It applies the makeup flawlessly, provides great coverage, and is super soft. The small kabuki works well and is great for it's value but there is a drawback and that is the shedding. It mostly shed (a lot) during washes however it did not shed on my makeup and on my face. So while shedding may be a concern, it won't shake loose unless you're washing it with soap and water. It holds it's shape and maintains softness -- I've washed the kabuki about three times now and I'm still quite satisfied with it. 

Angled Blush Brushes

Now I would compare the e.l.f. blush brush to the EcoTools blush brush but that isn't fair as both EcoTools blush brushes that I have happen to have the dome top rather than being angled. Although the e.l.f. website shows a blush brush that has a dome appearance, it's actually slanted so it wouldn't be fair unless I stacked it against another slanted brush. But that is something to keep in mind when you're ordering these brushes.

• Sephora I.T. Angled Natural Blush Brush 
• e.l.f. Studio Blush Brush


I am loving the Sephora Angled brush since it applies my blush with such precision. I've been using it for about two months now and I love the long handle, soft bristles, and well, I honestly have no qualms with this brush.

The e.l.f. Blush brush is fantastic compared to the Sephora brush. Sure, the handle is a bit shorter, but it is also quite soft, has never shed, and delivers the same precision that the Sephora brush does. This one is quite impressive so naturally I highly recommend it.

Update: If you read my post "Major Players: Brushes", I've since gotten rid of the Sonia Kashuk Highlighting Brush and the Ulta retractable kabuki.



Product: e.l.f. Studio Kabuki Face Brush
Price: $6
Would Recommend? Yes.
Takeaway: It sheds a bit (when washed) but holds up very well. Provides great coverage and remains soft. Overall, you can't go wrong with this one.

Product: e.l.f. Studio Blush Brush
Price: $3
Would Recommend? Yes
Takeaway: Soft bristles and applies with precision. Doesn't shed either which is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...