Monday, September 10, 2012

Review: Miss Jessie's Quick Curls

A while ago I got wind of the Miss Jessie's line for curly hair. I'd had never heard about it before but found out that they send free samples so I got a few and saved it for later. (Hey now, I was on a hiatus, I had to save some of the new stuff to report on but just so you know, I ordered the Crème de la Crème Conditioner Packet, Crème de la Curl Shampoo Packet, Pillow Soft Curls Packet).

I actually haven't had the chance to try them out because my friend surprised me with a bottle of the Quick Curls formula. Now a heads up on my hair type, it's fine with medium to coarse strands, and the hair strands are a cross between 2a or 2b. Basically what that means is that my hair doesn't quite benefit at times from curling cremes but sometimes add a bit of a pop. A while ago I reviewed the Bumble and Bumble Curl Conscious Defining Creme and while it worked when my hair was shorter, add on two inches and the creme started being ineffective (well, that's more so my own hair's fault).

The first attempt with the Quick Curls was a bust. I had temporarily switched to a silicone heavy conditioner which just dragged down my hair. Putting in even the tiniest amount of the Quick Curls didn't do anything. My hair lost all of it's curls and waves and just ended up limp. I quickly saw the error in my ways (by checking the ingredients on the conditioner) and I realized that the silicones might have had something to do with missing waves and curls.

The second attempt I had switched to a natural shampoo and conditioner and then very lightly added the Quick Curls. Huge difference from the first attempt. My hair appeared a bit curlier but also a bit frizzier but I did love how much the curls popped -- even a day later. At this point I've been successfully using this curl creme for about a month now and I'm very happy with the bit of bounce that it adds to my hair. There is a bit of a drawback whereby I feel as though my hair gets a bit greasier on that second day however it really comes in at the end of the day so it's not a huge deal breaker.

Overall, pretty happy loose bouncy curls (they tighten at certain spots, but not all over) so I think for those with wurls, they are actually quite nice. I know that I need to post a better before shot but the picture above was two days after an application with dry shampoo. The wurls hold up well, if I do say so myself.



Product: Miss Jessie's Quick Curls
Price: The 8 oz is priced at $32.00 and the 2 oz goes for $9.00.
Would Recommend? Yes, but for those with wurls.
Takeaway: Good performance overall for those with S-curls -- for those who lean on the wavy side (I can't speak to the other sides of waves since I don't have the hair to speak to that experience). Loving the performance over the last month as it makes my hair shiny and a tiny bit bouncy (which is a lot for my hair, trust me).

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...