Thursday, June 13, 2013

Review: Algenist Firming & Lifting Cream

While on a quick trip out to see my parents, I didn't want to lug around too much weight (because, well, my parents would have a lot of things for me to bring back with me) so from my samples stash (this one was courtesy of Sephora when I purchased stuff from the Disney Reigning Beauties Jasmine collection) I grabbed the smallest container of facial moisturizer I could find. 

I admit, I of course did not know anything about this sample, I actually didn't even remember that I had it till I went looking for something to be sufficient for the trip. I knew that I would likely not wear any makeup the entire time I was in New York given the humidity so I wanted to make sure that I had a good moisturizer. Turns out that I had selected a great one. 

So here are my "uninformed" notations:
  • Feels great in terms of texture.
  • Light and airy and doesn't cause oiliness to my skin.
  • Does not react well to the humidity so the rice papers are still necessary to take care of excess sheen. 
  • Does work well on "regular" days (meaning that they weren't around 80° F [27° C]) and no oily sheen would appear.

Now I know that the last two points would do a lot of moisturizers in but let's keep in mind that my face is somewhat difficult. It takes a very specific blend in order to maintain the oiliness in my skin (as demonstrated by my trip to Hawaii last year) which is hard to establish within a week. However I'd like to move away from that point as that's not what this moisturizer is advertised for. Upon looking it up after my trip, I was a bit astounded that I was so naive about this moisturizer. This particular one is formulated without parabens, sulfates, synthetic dyes, petrochemicals, phthalates, and triclosan. Basically it fits the criteria that I prefer to have for facial moisturizers.

The drawback though was just that it carries a hefty price -- full size at 2 ounces is $94. I'm quite glad that I even had this sample of it because it really put it into perspective for me. It's a firming and lifting cream (I know that that says that on the label, but I didn't pay attention) and it didn't quite do anything for me. Not that I expected it to, but not that I saw anything remarkable about it either. Perhaps it was the fact that I was jetlagged and then remained tired for the rest of the week that I had used it. But really there wasn't anything different so for that... Well, it was a bit disappointing. As a regular moisturizer, it's pricey but good and but for what it's supposed to do, it's not that great for me.



Product: Algenist Firming & Lifting Cream
Price: $94 (for the full sized)
Stars: ★★★☆☆
Would Recommend? No.
Takeaway: Although the entire time I used it, I remained blissfully unaware of what it was actually supposed to to, as a moisturizer it was okay. As a lifting and firming cream, it fell short.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...