Monday, July 30, 2012

The Art of Book Plates

Earlier I wrote an epically long ramble about how "saving money" actually translates to "acquiring more books and useless junk" but then decided to just write about books instead. Those of you who are aware of my bookwormismness, know that I'm somewhat active on GoodReads. And by active I mean that I track books that I'm reading but I don't actually write reviews (I thought about it seriously for a while, but then decided against it -- I cannot remember why). On LibraryThing, I have two accounts: one for my huge library back in New York and another to track the books I have with me in California (or are still boxed somewhere).

All of my life, being someone who had semi-permanence in the school library (see: Library Club in grade school, Librarian Achievement Award in junior high, and knowing every member of my library on campus) the one thing I always loved the classic Browne Issue System. This may be a foreign concept to some of you so I advise you to read the Wikipedia page along with ex libris.

Of course, this took to the absolute back burner because my library back in New York is at 380 books. Can you imagine trying to glue 380 pockets to books? Cataloging them was hard enough the first time (and then the second time when someone messed with my library and it will be difficult a third time because that's going to happen at some time). Luckily my library in California is sitting pretty at 84 books (and no, I'm not counting ebooks, I've actually removed them from my catalog) so I figured it was time to invest in an ex libris. 

Luckily this is where Etsy came in handy. At first I thought that I'd invest in two different bookplates with one being a classic design and the other being one with a Ravenclaw design. One would be used for the New York library and the other for the California one. I decided to just get one but then I had to narrow it down because there are so many choices. So I had to narrow it down, I knew that while I loved the pockets, those were out along with any stickers. I needed a stamp and I ended up in Asspocket Productions' store. 

I told her what I wanted and she worked closely with me to figure out the aesthetics of it. I'm incredibly happy with the stamp I got and I think it's cute that it's now part of her catalog. It's the Teapot & Teacup stamp and you can see it below. 


This was definitely a frivolous spend but you know what, I love it and I think it adds a bit of character to all of my books. Now the only catch is to make sure I don't mess up when I'm stamping.

Oh and a message to my beloved bibliophiles that have been waiting over my New York library like vultures... I love you but my dear Cheshire cat but now there will always be proof of what was mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...