Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Elongated Pennies

Somewhere on this blog I have mentioned that I am a bit of a collector. I did think that I was going to get to talk about my Vinylmation collection first, but I was able to take photos (albeit very bad photos) of my penny collection first. It all started with road trips as a child, you stop into a rest stop, find some way to make my parents spend 51‌¢ (it's the easiest angle) then promptly loose said coin. As I got older, I got better at remembering to keep the coin and put it away in a safe place but I also got better about not asking for an elongated coin.

Then it happened. The perfect storm of teenage stubbornness, elongated coins, and Disney (by the way, I blame Disney for this collection). At the age of 16, we're in Disney World -- I now absolutely assume that we went to Disney's Hollywood Studios (more evidence to follow) but there my parents said that they wouldn't give in to getting us elongated coins since my brother and I were officially too old but mostly because we kept loosing them. To which I retorted that if they got us the Penny Passports (conveniently it was located in the store that we were in right next to the machine) that we wouldn't loose them anymore.

As a joke almost, they gave in just to prove me wrong and to sweeten the deal, they let us get an elongated quarter. Little did they know that I actually did remember to save some older ones and had a total of two back home, which brought my grand total up to three with the new one.

I won.

Last year, which is about 10 years later (give or take, mostly give) I finally completed the first one (which is in black). After I completed it, my boyfriend was incredibly kind enough to keep his eyes out for a new one and we found it in Monterey, CA after visiting the aquarium. 




I'm actually kind of surprised at myself that I've kept up with it for so long. Even more surprised that every penny comes from a place I visited. I somehow managed to loose all the "Good Luck" ones but not the landmarks, cities, or attractions ones. Anyhow, it's been an interesting journey in the world of pennies and it's something I plan on ending anytime soon (well, unless I fill out the second book).

Now while I can say that I have a lot of them that I like such as the one from NASA Kennedy Space Center, Maui, Kauai, and the variety I've picked up from Disney these three are my favourites (probably because you can take better photos of them.

Lilo & Stitch and The Nightmare Before Christmas are in my top favourites so I couldn't go without having a coin from them. (If I had one for Alice in Wonderland then I could say that I had all of my favourites). The Haunted Mansion Holiday ride during Halloween is one of my absolute favourite rides and I generally can't leave without getting on it at least once. It's been so long since I've been on it when it's just The Haunted Mansion ride that I don't remember what it's like to not have Jack Skellington take over.

Finally it's this coin from the Tower of Terror -- this was the one that I got along with my first Penny Passport as a memento of my first roller coaster ride.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...