Monday, July 16, 2012

Review: Aged BPAL Imps

A little while ago, I posted reviews for some of the Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab imps that I had ordered earlier this year. In that post I had mentioned that it was someone from LiveJournal who got me hooked on them by sending me a few imps for Christmas. Well, some time after that post I visited my parents who found my old stash of imps -- and here I thought I had just lost them when I was moving. So the really awesome thing is that there was still a bit of perfume in some of the imps but the down side is that I got these imps back in 2006 which means they are very aged -- which would be fine except that a lot of these aren't in production any more. So if I get any of the information incorrect, I apologize in advance.



How I store my Imp's Ears. More about
this below.
Gennivre, L’Artiste du Diable
Description: Hyson tea leaf, pale mint, sugar cane, orange blossom, lemongrass, and honey.
Line: Carnaval Diabolique, Act II: Fiat Nox (BPAL.ORG)
Reaction: I vaguely remember drooling over this line but I don't remember this scent. I put it on and it smells like honey, which I love. It an amazing light scent which you can make out the orange blossom and in a far distance get the notes of the tea leaves.
Currently Unavailable.

Belladonna
Description: The devil’s herb, which he cultivates with skill and pleasure. According to lore, the spirit of this plant may take the form of a breathtaking, achingly beautiful woman, deadly to behold. This scent is a tribute to such a dark and magnificent plant: a rich green and floral blend, earthy and haunting.
Line: Rappaccini's Garden
Reaction: Oh my goodness, this was like Bengay out of the bottle. Very, very strong scent of menthol and it took a little while for the true scent to come in. When that strong methol died down, there was a hint of something else... something erring on the side of floral, but not quite. The interesting thing though is that time apparently has changed this imp very much especially since all the reviews on BPAL mention the same thing. Super strong florals though which caused a headache.
Still in production.

Erato
Description: She is the Muse of mimicry, and inspires both erotic and romantic poetry. She is crowned in roses, holding a lyre. Her scent inspires creative expressions of love and lust: a crush of roses with sweet pea, myrrh, ylang ylang, orris and stephanotis.
Line: The Muses: Erotic and Romantic Poetry (BPAL.ORG)
Reaction: It smells like incense -- not in a bad way but has this musky like feel to it (but it's not musk). It smells antiquated with that rose coming through strong and just a slight hint of ylang ylang. Very strong florals come in so a headache tends to come in with it. Luckily it doesn't completely dominate so I can definitely get on board with this one.
Discontinued.

Bayou
Description: A lazy, warm deep green scent with a thick aquatic undertone: Spanish moss, evergreen and cypress with watery blue-green notes and an eddy of hothouse flowers and swamp blooms.
Line: Wanderlust
Reaction: This definitely has a darker and almost deeper scent to it. The florals lightly come out but I can't quite distinguish the scents. It's a bit woodsy but over time the florals really dominate. Overall, I really like this one and I'm glad there is more of a woodsy undertone so that it doesn't make me need to wash it off.
Still in production.

Hades
Description: A dark, palpably sacred chthonic blend: black narcissus and cypress, stephanotis, opoponax, labdanum, onycha and ambergris.
Line: Excolo
Reaction: Out of the sealed bottle, this one had a very very light scent. You can just barely make out all the florals but once it is on your skin it slowly grows. The florals just completely dominate and you can make it out with complete ease. It's not overpowering as some of the other florals I've smelled but gracefully treads on that line as it remains solidly earthy.
Still in production.

Brides of Dracula
Description: Unquenchable desire, seething lust, malevolent sexuality, and voracious hunger lurking beneath a shimmering veil of unearthly beauty: gleaming skin musk, honey and white amber, plum blossom, osmanthus, sandalwood, calla lily, and a light, sensual blend of Eastern spices.
Line: The Order of the Dragon (BPAL.ORG)
Reaction: Powdery scent with a bit of musk and you can make out the hints of spices. This was one of my favourites when I first got these imps 6 years ago and this one continues to be my favourite of the batch. The spices and the honey comes in smoothly with just a hint of the florals. Overall I love this scent and I'm pretty sure I'll continue to hoard it.
Discontinued.



About the holder that I created, I used balsa wood and glued pieces together. The black fabric is actually ribbon that was cut and fitted to hold the imp's in. I used to hang the holder in a dark place (the imps should always be kept in a dark and cool area), and the black ribbon assisted in making sure they weren't exposed to light.

Prior to getting my Imp holder back (special thanks to my parents who found it), I had them stored in a drawer organizer (pictured on the left). Sorry for the blurry picture but it's dark in there.

BPAL sells the Imp's Ears for $4.00 each (they are 1/32oz). Some imps cannot be purchased if they are part of a set (and they make it clear what you can or cannot request) and you can get 6 imps for $22.00. These imps were a gift back in 2006 which is why many of them are no longer available. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...