Friday, March 2, 2012

Trying Out Cosmetic Wedges

Since switching from loose powder to a pressed powder foundation, one of the things I noticed right away was that the brushes weren't going to cut it anymore. I have great brushes, but they aren't able to pick up as much of the powder and evenly distribute it. With the original packaging (like all pressed powders) there was the powder puff, which I sort of ignored for a bit. I used it ever so slightly, but also remained unimpressed by the way it distributed the powder. I really had to press it into my skin in order to see the colour. 

Cosmetic wedges on the left and the puff that came
with the powder on the right.
So I fished out a pack of cosmetic wedges that I had and decided that it was time to try them. I had them from Halloween, since I tend to use wedges to apply Halloween makeup so I figured it was worth a try.

For the last few weeks I've been trying out the cosmetic wedges and I've been very happy with the results. I'm still getting technique down with the blush but so far, it's been great.

A pack of the wedges are relatively cheap (about $4 for a pack of 32) and they are reusable. I don't know how many times you can attempt to reuse them, but basically you wash them (they will expand in size so that you can clean them) and then they will shrink back to normal size as they dry. 

So what makes it different than the puff? It's easier to hold, which just might be the key difference here. With the puff, I found myself struggling to press the powder on. The wedges are just a bit easier to hold and really get into smaller spaces (like near my eye). This also meant that not only could I use it to apply my foundation, but also the finishing powder (they are similar in colour) and even pick up the blush without worrying about the colours mixing. 

The moral of the story: If you find yourself having issues applying pressed powders, try using wedges (or even a blender). That is all. :) (Though I kind of wish I knew that before making the switch).

Oh and if you are considering reusing the wedges or even the puff, cleaning it with soap and water works out just fine. As with my brushes, I use anti-bacterial hand soap and warm water. For the puffs and wedges, I have a small basket in which they rest on cardboard tubes in order to allow them to dry evenly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...