Thursday, December 13, 2012

Swatches: Sephora Collection Smoky Kohl Eyeliner in Black

I haven't been able to properly wear this kohl eyeliner out since I generally pair it with another eyeliner to get a darker colour. That's why I'm specifically mentioning that this is more of a swatch rather than an observation of it's overall performance.

I had been watching this eyeliner for a while but carefully trying to weigh it against the Guerlain Khôl Kajal (which I'd still love to have but since it retails for $36, I feel as though I had better thoroughly enjoy rather than eye from afar), it was tough to pass this one up when it went on sale for $3. It turns out that they are actually discontinuing it which is why it went for so low. If you see it on the website then you might want to grab it if you have the chance.

Anyhow, I do enjoy khols quite a bit, but this is a medium I'm not quite used to. I'm actually used to the loose powder but I like the idea of the kohl kajal so I couldn't just pass it up.

So the idea is that if you use it as an eyeliner, then you would  hold it vertically to your eye and drag it across. With this motion, you'd be able to keep the pointed tip  or potentially reshape it with out a sharpener.

If you notice on the left with mine, the tip is a bit dull. Someone (likely myself) accidentally twisted it upward causing an indentation at the tip. With a few uses (using the method I described) I've been able to get the pointed tip back.

The application can be a bit tricky if you're not used to it. I'm certainly not used to it so it takes a bit of practice. The application at times felt a bit spotty but I was able to fill it in with the help of another eyeliner (specifically the NYX eyeliner that I have in my stash). It does come out a bit lighter than a standard eyeliner so you could potentially blend it as an eyeshadow.

In the image to the left you can see a comparison of some of the eyeliners that I have in my stash. From left to right is the Sephora Kohl Eyeliner, e.l.f. liquid eyeliner, NYX retractable eyeliner, Stila Convertible Eye Color, and Tokidoki Perfetto Eyeliner.

Given the application type, it's much thicker and while similar in colour and density to the NYX and Stila, you definitely have more freedom to blend it.

I tried out the eyeliner with a very basic look: Everyday Minerals in Mystery Midnight, Kat Von D's Tequila and Leather eyeshadow, the Sephora Kohl, NYX Retractable Eyeliner in Black, and Physicians Formula Organic Wear 100% Natural Origin Jumbo Lash Mascara in black (for whatever reason, my psyche is convinces that these all go together since they all don't show up on my skin very well).

It's going to take quite a bit of practice with this one, but overall, I'm happy with it.



Product: Sephora Collection Smoky Kohl Eyeliner in Black (Discontinued)
Price: Final sale was $3.
Would Recommend? Sure, for that price.
Takeaway: If you're new to this style of eyeliner, then it's fun to play around to. It might take a little while to get used to but practice might make perfect. Overall, it's not as strong as other eyeliner that you might find as it's not as defined, but it lends itself to blending. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...