Monday, November 28, 2011

The Red Ladies

Don't mind the wear and tear on these gals, they have been knocking around my makeup bags for quite a bit.

From left to right:
1. Nuance by Salma Hayek Color Vibrance in Paprika
2. L'Oreal Colour Riche in Penelope's Red 320
3. MAKE UP FOR EVER Rouge Artist Intense in Moulin Rouge #43
4. Revlon Absolutely Fabulous in Vixen #59

A while ago I did a comparison of the last three with a simple everyday look (and by everyday I mean cat eyes and red lips, so make of that what you will). Penelope's Red while nice, was too light and felt too orange while the Moulin Rouge was bright and cheery but not something I could pull off everyday. Vixen was and still always is very dark, which is great for an evening look, but not for everyday wear. When I came across the Paprika tube, I was very happy with it and it is my standard everyday lipstick. (Well, not everyday, but I could definitely pull it off during the day).


Click here for a picture of the 4 lined up.



Excuse the lighting but you can probably notice some differences emerging with the four. The Revlon (Vixen) is only there as a mark for a dark red. Below you can see how the four hold up on my skin though. Nuance (Paprika) is still striking as a light red, but still there and refined. The L'Oreal (Penelope's Red) is somewhat of a mess and I think it's fair to note here that the common red lip liners are a slight disaster when paired with this lipstick. The MUFE (Moulin Rouge) just pops magnificently and the Revlon (Vixen) is my favourite lipstick for when I feel piratey. 

I already knew that in order to wear Penelope's Red that I need to find another lip liner, which I haven't done just yet. With Paprika and Moulin Rouge, I can get away with using e.l.f. Essential Feather Proof Moisturizing Lip Liner in Bitter.

As I play around with different variations, I'm sure I'll find a better way of using Penelope's Red and even Moulin Rouge. (I'm not at that point where I can wear it to work just yet). And perhaps one day I will let go of the coveted Vixen though I will admit it's fantastic for Halloween.



Product: Nuance by Salma Hayek Color Vibrance in Paprika
Price: $9.99
Would Recommend? Yes
Takeaway: I love it because it's just the right colour and gives great coverage. Last throughout the day though you will need to touch it up here and there. Great for an everyday look. 

Product: L'Oreal Colour Riche in Penelope's Red 320 
Price:  Approximately $8.00 depending on where you find it.
Would Recommend? No
Takeaway: Not very pigmented and thus doesn't have a good coverage. Ends up seeming too light and requires a matching lip liner to really bring out the colour. 

Product: MAKE UP FOR EVER Rouge Artist Intense in Moulin Rouge #43
Price: $19.00
Would Recommend? Yes
Takeaway: This is an intense red which has great coverage and great pigmentation which is fantastic. This one is vibrant but beautiful.

Product: Revlon Absolutely Fabulous in Vixen #59
Price: $5.99
Would Recommend? Depends on the look.
Takeaway: Great for an evening wear or even for Halloween as it's very much on the dark side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...