Friday, May 4, 2012

Review: NYX Cosmetics Retractable Pencil Eye Liner

Countless times I have told myself to write a post about NYX but I take pictures of the pencil and realize how blurry it is and then realize that maybe I write way too often about eyeliner. Oh well. Now, while I haven't begun an official Project 10 Pan, there are a few items I've been meaning to finish and my NYX Cosmetics Retractable Pencil Eye Liner is one of them.

Not that I don't enjoy it! (But I also have two other Stila eyeliners and one from Sephora). So here's my general impression of it.


It is slightly on the dry side (so not quite creamy) which means that while there is a lot of control with putting it on, there is also the issue of it going on heavy. A thick application of it means that I get a very dark and wide line -- great pigmentation but when I'm aiming for a day look, it is slightly frustrating to get thick lines instead. Depending on the placement on my eyelid, it either lasts all day or it doesn't -- meaning that if I use it to create the top of the arch along my eyes, it's fine and can last all day. However closer to my upper waterline (the lower waterline just gets messy), it will fade very quickly by noon. 

My assumption in regard to that issue is that the eyeliner is not waterproof so tight-lining is not really recommended (unless you're going for the smudgy eyes look [Read as: Perfect for Halloween]). Wherever you use it, just note that it may just fade so be careful about this. I learned this when I used in a cat eye look and found that the scalene triangle at the edge of my eye faded by noon and the eyeliner on the upper lid had transferred to the bottom. Solution for those of you that might see this issue: Reinforce it with another eyeliner. I personally reinforce the NYX liner with L'Oreal HiP Studio Secrets Professional Color Truth Cream Eyeliner -- I use the L'Oreal along the upper waterline and fill in any areas that the NYX liner missed.



Product: NYX Cosmetics Retractable Pencil Eye Liner
Price: $4.50
Would Recommend? No.
Takeaway: While it has the positive of being very pigmented which is nice, the negative is that it fades and really needs to be kept away from the waterline in order to remain intact. It's a good cheap alternative which is on par with one of my Stila eyeliners, but I'm not sure it's a good replacement for something like the Lancome eyeliner.

A great reference for identifying the parts of your eyes for eye makeup is over at Temptalia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...