Saturday, September 6, 2014

Hello Waffle Eyeshadows

On Thursday I received my order from Hello Waffle which is an indie company that operates in Canada. For months I had gone back and forth about what exactly I wanted from the shop till finally I decided to take the plunge. I placed my order on August 23rd so in terms of shipping from Canada, the wait wasn't that bad. I wish I had taken a picture of the packaging however I was so excited that I forgot -- I will say that the shipping packaging was great for getting these eyeshadows through the mail. Each eyeshadow for the full size  cost $6.00 (US) and according to my receipt shipping to the States was $6.00. Onward!





When I first finally decided on what I was going to get, I knew that there was a risk that many of these might not show up on my skin. It happens a lot so I didn't get my hopes up. That wasn't to say that I wasn't going to be incredibly excited if they did work out. Please note that along the top of each swatch is the Smashbox primer. These eyeshadows seemed to not care about the primer at all so perhaps I'll revise the swatches when I have a primer that is appropriate for eyeshadows. Also, while I did purchase the majority of these, the owner kindly tossed in Fusion and Cat Fluff as freebies. The descriptions of each shade is directly from the Hello Waffle website. Enjoy!

Indoor Lighting

From Left to Right: Fusion, Galaxy Dust, Hobgoblin, Hot Cross Bunnies,
Thorns, Whale Hello There, Rainforest, and Cravings.

Trying to capture the shimmer outdoors.

  • Fusion: Reddened purple shimmer.
  • Galaxy Dust: Dark teal with subtle purple shift.
  • Hobgoblin Lively olive green with silver and green sparkle.
  • Hot Cross Bunnies: Light purple with golden sheen 
  • Thorns:  Black with darkened gold shimmer
  • Whale Hello There: Pale shimmery lilac, leans blue.
  • Rainforest: Vibrant green-blue with sparkles.
  • Cravings: Dark purple shimmer with gold sparkle.

Of this grouping, I knew that the darker colours would be just fine against my skin. The ones I was taking a risk with were Hot Cross Bunnies and Whale Hello There but they both took me by surprised. As you can see in the swatches above, they are quite clear and distinct. The one that I felt the most ambivalent about was Thorns however I figured that if I layered it over a black eyeshadow or even over a dark gray one, that should get it to pop a bit more.

Indoor Lighting

From Left to Right: Cat Fluff, Mendelssohn, Pachelbel, Vivaldi, Chopin,
Tchaikovsky, Lust, and Wrath.

Outdoor Lighting


  • Cat Fluff: Dark grey, leans green with green and gold sparkles.
  • Mendelssohn: Light pink with golden sheen.
  • Pachelbel: Sparkly white-gold, wedding-like.
  • Vivaldi: Copper red with silver sparkles. 
  • Chopin: Romantic soft gray-purple duochrome.
  • Tchaikovsky: Vibrant gold with red, silver, and blue sparks.
  • Lust: Dark berry with purple and blue shifts.
  • Wrath: Muted dark gray-green with silver sparks.


This group definitely had more of the eyeshadows whose pigmentation I was worried about. I've been on a bit of a rose gold quest lately so in that pursuit, I've been looking into a lot of pinks, peaches, and gold. I haven't had much luck but I keep trying anyway.

Moving along, while Mendelssohn didn't seem to show up much in the natural light photos, it did in the indoor photograph which is the first one. It is a bit demure which is fine especially if it's blended with another colour. Taking note of that, I was surprised that Pachelbel and Tchaikovsky had such great pigmentation to them. Of this group, I was pleasantly surprised by all of them and got exactly what I expected.

I am glad that I finally took the leap and ordered from Hello Waffle. All of the eyeshadows seem to be highly pigmented and have that added bonus of looking almost a bit different in outdoor and in door lighting. These are a great addition to my collection and I'll be sure to keep my eye on their collections (especially since I'm hoping that there will be a Halloween collection). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...