Monday, August 20, 2012

Type C's, where are your flashlights?

This weekend was the Russian River Beer Revival and BBQ Cook-Off, which meant that I had another outlet to exhibit my organizational skills (or being kind of crazy in terms of organization, whatever). Anyhow, at some point during the trip, I recalled a moment in a college mathematics class where my professor tried an interesting approach with the group. In order to help us understand ourselves, he had us take a personality assessment quiz -- specifically the DISC.

I'm not going to get into the DISC since to be honest, I'm not really sure why it was selected for that particular class but, I'll get into the "C" part of it. DISC stands for: Dominance (Drive), Inducement (Influence), Submission (Steadiness), and Compliance (Caution or Conscientiousness). For those interested, most of my information is coming from the Wikipedia entry so I'm going to keep this light, otherwise you can read about it there.

  • Drive: Described as demanding, forceful, egocentric, strong willed, driving, determined, ambitious, aggressive, and pioneering.  
  • Influence: Described as reflective, factual, calculating, skeptical, logical, suspicious, matter of fact, pessimistic, and critical. 
  • Steadiness: Described as calm, relaxed, patient, possessive, predictable, deliberate, stable, consistent, and tend to be unemotional and poker faced. 
  • Compliance: Described as careful, cautious, exacting, neat, systematic, diplomatic, accurate, and tactful. 

Now the one thing I remember the most about this assessment was that when the professor got to the part about the type "C" all he said was those of you who had flashlights, pull them out now. So the few of us that did, pulled them out and put them on and he said that we were the type C's of the group -- the ones that are always prepared for some reason. The interesting thing about this assessment is that on that same token, low "C" scores are those that are described as being "self-willed, stubborn, opinionated, unsystematic, arbitrary, and unconcerned with details," which is actually also just like me. I'm a Sagittarian after all and why shouldn't I strike out against myself? Perhaps we should keep astrology out of this one, but I wanted to touch upon the Myer-Briggs model.

For those unfamiliar, the MBTI is 16 different types that are represented by 4 letters. You can read more about each type at Wikipedia or you can take a test (there are several online, so take your pick). I personally tend to teeter between INTJ and INTP (though it has been a few years so that might have changed). But since we're on such a topic as personality, other things to keep in mind is that I'm a Pottermore Ravenclaw and Koerdis, the Tilirreh of Blue.

Wait, now... what did you learn from this post? If you haven't learned anything about me just yet, then let's go back and try again. I have a long running list of many different personality tests. But like Jack Skellington (lulz, you thought you wouldn't get a Disney reference), "What does it mean?" Well, it doesn't really mean anything. You are you who are and who you've allowed yourself to be. You are how you shaped yourself and no quiz can tell you that much.

Sure, I can say that I'm a type "C" and that's why I'm always prepared. Or I can say, I'm always prepared because my dad taught me how to always be prepared. It just sounds easier going with the former, rather than explaining the latter. And sometimes, I think that's what a lot of people mean. "I'm this way because of my personality type because I don't feel like explaining that that's just who I am." To each their own.

By the way, where's your flashlight?

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if I'd put too much stock in the amateur psychology of a mathematics professor.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...