Thursday, December 1, 2011

Remember to Treat Your Skin

Something I try to do weekly is give myself a facial mask. Sure, I'm a sucker for a spa but truth be told that I only trust one group of people with my face and sadly they are back in New York. (That nod is those fine people at Rani Ayurvedic Salon & Spa, who I used to go to on a regular basis but alas, I am in San Francisco now). Nowadays I do the majority of my facial masks at home. The one that I love the most?

Queen Helene's Mint Julep Masque


It took me a while to find a brick and mortar store that carried it but as it turns out, Walgreens has it. It's sold by various vendors online and the 8 ounce usually comes in under $5. I'm sure other drugstores carries this but I hadn't really seen it around. But I had heard about it as I'm sure you might have. And if you haven't -- it's amazing and highly recommended.

It has a nice mint scent and is a bright green. You should leave it on for about 15 minutes though I tend to leave it on for about half an hour. No real reason behind that, I usually put it on as I'm doing chores or I start reading then time just kind of escapes from me. (Generally if I leave it on for to long I make sure to use a toner thereafter).

But I can't just rave about this particular mask (well, I can but I won't, it's amazing and there are no cons to it). So I'll throw in some strong contenders here. See originally I got into masks thanks to Lush Cosmetics. I had worked as a sales associate a few years ago and part of that job requires knowing all the products. After trying all of them, Crash Course in Skincare quickly became a staple. That particular Fresh Face mask has been discontinued and none of them quite hold up to that one and the reason behind my saying this is simply that it was great for combination skin. While some of the masks are great for when my skin is acting a particular way, they aren't necessarily good for just a regular mask.

I know that might sound odd but here's how it breaks down:

Sometimes my skin gets really dry and when that happens Oatifix is spectacularly great. I first came across this one when I visited London and I was excited when it finally made it's way across the pond. The oatmeal and banana scent is great and this is extremely hydrating for dry skin.

But my skin isn't always dry. Sometimes it's oily and when that happens Catastrophe Cosmetic is the mask that I use. The calamine makes it a bit hard to wash off however it still does wonders for my skin when in it's in that state. You aboslutely need to use a toner afterward, mostly to remove the residue.

The catch about the Lush Fresh Face masks? Well, you're in the U.S. then you have to get them in store. You can look at them online, but you can't purchase them online. The other thing is that they have an expiration date. Also, depending on your local store, they may run out quickly. In case that happens, just ask the staff when they get their deliveries and then dedicate that day to your mind. (Apparently my local store's delivery date is Friday, so I need to keep that in mind).

Those are my staples, so what are yours?



Product: Queen Helene's Mint Julep Masque
Price: Under $5, depending on where you find it.
Would Recommend? Yes
Takeaway: There are no cons, it's a great mask to have at home.

Product: Lush's Fresh Face Masks 
Price: $6.95 (each)
Would Recommend? Yes
Takeaway: I recommend them but do be sure to consult with the staff about what works for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...